Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Women's Soccer Falls in Final Minutes to Colby

Women's Soccer Falls in Final Minutes to Colby

Hartford, Conn. - The Colby College Mules scored twice in the game's final five minutes to pull off a 3-2 victory over the Trinity College Bantams on Saturday in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) women's soccer action in Hartford. The Bantams fall to 2-4 overall and 0-3 in the NESCAC while Colby improves to 2-3 on the year and 1-2 in conference play. The Bantams return to the pitch on Tuesday for a home game versus Wheaton at 6:30 p.m.

After falling behind 1-0 early, the Bantams came back to take a 2-1 lead on a penalty kick from junior Tricia Pollock (Beverly, Mass.) after Colby was whistled for a foul during the 28th minute. The lead stuck at halftime but the Mules came out of the gates hot in the second half, tallying 11 shots in the final 45 minutes and earning a pair of corner kicks. Trinity finished with 12 shots compared to 17 total by Colby as Bantam sophomore goalie Taylor O'Connor (Danvers, Mass.) made six saves in net. Colby sophomore Shannon Gray (East Bridgewater, Mass.) picked up her first victory of the season after coming on at halftime and making three second half saves.

Colby started the scoring less than five minutes into the game when Charlotte White (Washington, D.C.) found the back of the net for her second goal of the season. The lead held until the 18th minute when Trinity sophomore Cami Beath (Kennebunk, Maine) found junior forward Katie Marlow-Benedick (Weston, Mass.) in front of the net who rifled the ball into goal to tie things at 1-1. Pollock's penalty kick came just over ten minutes later which she blasted into the top shelf of the net, out of the reach of Colby starting goalie Dani Lonati (Franklin, Mass.).

Both teams played a clean second half for 40 minutes before Colby knotted things at 2-2. With 4:05 remaining, Sarah Lofstrom (East Bridgewater, Mass.) dished a pass to White who beat O'Connor to the netting for her second goal of the afternoon. Less than three minutes later, in the 89th minute, the Mules found the game-winner thanks to a shot off the foot of Catherine Fraser (Orono, Minn.). Fraser received a pass from White nearly 20 yards outside of the box and launched a high-arcing shot towards net. The ball went just over the outstretched arm of O'Connor and tucked under the top crossbar and into the back of the net for the goal. With just a 1:40 left to go, Trinity was unable to find the equalizer.