Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Women’s Soccer Plays to 3-3 Draw With Wheaton After Scoring Twice in Final Six Minutes of Regulation

Olga Koszykowska '20 (#6) scored her first career goal late in the first half for the Bantams.
Olga Koszykowska '20 (#6) scored her first career goal late in the first half for the Bantams.

Hartford, Conn. – In a game that saw both teams combine for 47 shots, the Trinity College women's soccer team scored twice in the final 5:31 of regulation to force overtime before settling for a 3-3 draw with the Wheaton College Lyons on Wednesday evening in Hartford. The Bantams move to 2-4-1 overall while the Lyons, ranked No. 7 in New England, sit at 7-1-1 after Wednesday's result. Trinity returns to action on Saturday for a New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) match at home versus Bates College.

Trinity controlled the pace of the first half and had a handful of great scoring chances early. Junior Kelly Lucas (Ludlow, Mass.) nearly put the hosts up, 1-0, within the game's first five minutes, but a shot off her left foot just missed the inside of the far post. Fellow junior Katie Marlow-Benedick (Weston, Mass.) also had a clean look at the net just a few minutes later but her shot sailed just high of the top crossbar to keep the game scoreless.

With less than 20 minutes to go in the first half, Bantam junior Rhone O'Hara (Woodstock, Conn.) controlled the ball in Wheaton's third and sent a pass to the top of the box to sophomore Cami Beath (Kennebunk, Maine). Beath fired a shot on goal, but the ball crushed the top crossbar and out of harm's way.

Wheaton had one of its better chances late in the half when Hannah Lepordo (Sudbury, Mass.) found herself one-on-one with O'Hara, just outside of Trinity's box. Lepordo found just enough daylight to get a shot off, but Bantam sophomore goalie Taylor O'Connor (Danvers, Mass.) was there to shut the door and keep the Lyons off the board.

The Bantams finally broke through in the 44th minute to take a 1-0 lead just before the intermission. Trinity earned a corner kick thanks to an aggressive play by senior Shannon Kennedy (Hartford, Conn.). Kennedy inserted the ball off the corner which bounced off a Lyon defender and landed at the feet of junior Olga Koszykowska (New Britain, Conn.). Koszykowska settled it, turned and fired the ball past the out-stretched arm of Wheaton goalie Alex Barbagallo (Bridgwater, N.J.) and into the back of the net for her first career score.

Wheaton came out of the half with intensity as they looked for the equalizer. After three early shots that missed the net, the Bantams were whistled for a hand ball in their own box, giving Wheaton a penalty kick. Aymara O'Brien-Pappalardo (Easton, Conn.) took the kick for the Lyons and blasted the ball into the top left corner of the goal to tie the game at 1-1.

O'Brien-Pappalardo give Wheaton a 2-1 lead just a few minutes later when she fired a shot from ten yards outside of the box that arced over O'Connor and just below the top crossbar into the back of the net.

Trinity junior Tricia Pollock (Beverly, Mass.) nearly tied things back up when she fired a shot from the top of the box with 15 minutes left, but the ball sailed just high of the net to no avail. Chloe Troy (Wethersfield, Conn.) scored her fourth goal of the season in the 83rd minute to give the visitors what seemed to be a comfortable lead with just seven minutes remaining. The Bantams, however, came roaring back to score twice in the final 5:31 and force overtime. The first came at 84:29 when junior Maeve Rabbitt (Concord, Mass.) sent a long pass into the box to Pollock who was racing down the middle of the field. Pollock put a good touch on the pass and buried the ball past Barbagallo for the score, cutting the deficit to 3-2.

Still trailing in the 88th minute, the Bantams went into desperation mode to find the equalizer and eventually did, thanks to the first career goal by rookie Duun O'Hara (Woodstock, Conn.), assisted by Pollock. Neither side challenged for the game-winner during the final minute-plus as the game went to extra time.

The first ten minutes of overtime came and went without a shot by either team as the game went to the second overtime period. With just over six minutes left, Marlow-Benedick fired what looked to be the game-winner towards net, but the ball clanked off the top crossbar. The remaining time on the clock elapsed without either team able to break through as the game ended in a 3-3 draw.