Trinity Women's Soccer Doubles Up Eastern Connecticut

Whitney Hoban '22
Whitney Hoban '22

Hartford, Conn. - The Trinity College Bantams erased a three-game winless streak with a 2-1 victory over the visiting Eastern Connecticut State University Warriors in women's soccer action this afternoon at Trinity Soccer Field.  The Bantams, which lost to Tufts and Middlebury last weekend and tied Connecticut College on Wednesday to go 0-2-1 in three New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) home games over a five-day period from October 13 to 17, are now 5-6-3 entering their regular-season finale at league rival Amherst on Tuesday night at 7:30 p.m.  The Warriors lose for the first time in three games but for the third year in a row against Trinity, dropping to 9-6 with their final game of the 2018 regular season at Little East Conference foe Rhode Island College on Saturday at 1 p.m.

The first third of the game was uneventful with Trinity sophomore goalie Taylor O'Connor (Danvers, Mass.) and Warrior sophomore goalie Rachel Videira (Oxford, Conn.) needing to make a pair of saves each to keep it scoreless.  In the 32nd minute, Trinity took a 1-0 lead when junior forward Katie Marlow-Benedick (Weston, Mass.) found first-year forward Duun O'Hara (Woodstock, Conn.) just past the Eastern Connecticut defense and O'Hara finished from just inside the box with a blast on the run.  The Warriors nearly tied the game five minutes later, but a long try by junior Abbey Fitzsimmons (West Hartford, Conn.) sailed just high.

The Bantams increased their lead to 2-0 in the 52nd minute on a header in the box by junior midfielder Olga Kosczykowska (New Britain, Conn.) that came directly off a free kick by junior Rhone O'Hara (Woodstock, Conn.) from just inside the Trinity half of the field.  The visitors sliced their deficit in half in the 69th minute on a goal by senior forward Anna Manser (Manchester, Conn.), who finished low and to O'Connor's right after quick passes through the middle of the field by senior teammates Mikki Bascilicato (Guilford, Conn.) and Hannah Goodale (Coventry, Conn.).  Eastern Connecticut almost tied the game with 16 minutes remaining but senior midfielder Aly Clarke (Mystic, Conn.) sent her direct kick from just outside the box a little high.

Trinity finished with  15-to-10 shooting advantage and earned six corner kicks to none for the Warriors.  O'Connor totaled five saves to improve to 4-5-3, while Videira dropped to 1-1 with three saves in the first half.  Sophomore Makeda Bailey (East Hartford, Conn.) added a pair of stops in the second half in goal for Eastern Connecticut.