Trinity And Wesleyan Play To 1-1 Tie In Women's Soccer

Katie Marlow-Benedick '20 scored for the Bantams
Katie Marlow-Benedick '20 scored for the Bantams

Middletown, Conn. - The visiting Trinity College Bantams and the Wesleyan University Cardinals played to a 1-1 tie in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) women's soccer action this evening at Smith Field.  Trinity moves to 3-4-2 overall and 1-3-1 in the NESCAC while extending its unbeaten streak to three games (1-0-2), while the Cardinals are now 5-2-2 overall and 2-1-2 in the league with a five-game unbeaten streak (3-0-2).  Trinity next plays at NESCAC rival Bowdoin on Saturday at noon, while Wesleyan visits league foe Colby the same day at 11 a.m.

The first half featured few scoring chances, although Trinity sophomore goalkeeper Taylor O'Connor (Danvers, Mass.) collected six saves before the break.  Trinity had an opportunity in the 37th minute in when junior midfielder Tricia Pollock (Beverly, Mass.) rifled a shot from 20 yards out. The strike sent Wesleyan goalkeeper Zoe Cassels-Brown diving to her right but the ball skidded just wide left.  The Bantams got on the board with 1:27 remaining in the stanza when sophomore forward Amelia Kroschwitz (Byfield, Mass.) volleyed a cross from rookie forward Duun O'Hara (Woodstock, Conn.) to junior forward Katie Marlow-Benedick (Weston, Mass.) who one-timed the pass into the bottom right corner for the 1-0 advantage.

Trinity looked to double its lead at the 69:30 mark, but Cassels-Brown came charging off her line to stop Pollock on a breakaway.  The Cardinals found the equalizer 76:28 in when Allie Goss sent a cross from the left side into the box, and Lauren Goetzman used her head to redirect the ball into the upper 90 and knot the game, 1-1.  The shot was just the second of the second stanza for Wesleyan, but O'Connor needed to make three saves over the next three minutes to keep the tie intact.  

In an uneventful first overtime, O'Connor stopped the lone shot on goal against Wesleyan's Liz Young in the 97th minute while Kayla O'Brien missed an open look from close in the 98th minute for the Cardinals.  O'Hara got off a decent look from the top of the box in the 104th minute, but it sailed wide.  O'Connor made a save on the only shot on goal of the second extra session with 3:57 on the clock to finish with 12, while Cassells -Brown made a pair of stops for Wesleyan.