New Haven, Conn. - The visiting Trinity College Bantams fought back from a 4-1 deficit and won the final four matches to earn a 5-4 victory over the Yale University Bulldogs in women's squash action this evening. Trinity, ranked No. 2 in the nation, improves to 6-0, while the No. 5-ranked Bulldogs drop to 8-1.
With her team trailing, 4-1, and a 2-0 hole with a 3-2 deficit in the third game of her own match, Trinity senior tri-captain Catalina Pelaez (Bogota, Colombia) came all the way back with a 3-2 victory in the No. 2 match against Yale senior Kim Hay (Newcastle, United Kingdom) that ignited a 4-0 run Bantam run. Pelaez came back to win the third game, 11-7, and posted 11-5 and 11-4 wins respectively, in games four and five to cut the Yale lead to 4-2. Bantam sophomore Sachika Balvani (Mumbia, India) outlasted Bulldog senior Gwen Tilghman (New York, N.Y.), 3-2, with an 11-6 win in the fifth game to bring the visitors to within one point, and rookie Anna Kimberley (Essex, England) recovered from an 11-9 setback in her first game to tie the match score at 4-4 with three wins by a combined score of 33-10 in the No. 4 position in the lineup.
Trinity sophomore No. 1 Kanzy El Defrawy (Cairo, Egypt) lost her first game, 11-5, to Yale senior Millie Tomlinson (Derbyshire, United Kingdom) but rallied for three triumphs in a row including a decisive 11-2 win in the fourth game to clinch the point and give Trinity the win. Bantam junior Natalie Babjukova (Prage, Czech Republic) won, 3-2, at No. 6 for the lone Trinity point of the first wave.
"It was an incredible comeback," said Trinity Head Coach Wendy Bartlett. "I cannot remember a time when we have come back from so far down to win a match and this one came against a great Yale team. Our last shift is as tough as they come and I knew we had a good chance after Cata won at No. 2. I am extremely proud of this team."
1. TC- Kanzy El Defrawy d. Millie Tomlinson, 5-11, 11-5, 11-7, 11-2
2. TC- Catalina Pelaez d. Kimberley Hay, 3-11, 8-11, 11-7, 11-5, 11-4
3. Y- Shihui Mao d. Wee Nee Low, 6-11, 8-11, 11-6, 14-12, 11-8
4. TC- Anna Kimberley d. Issey Norman-Ross, 9-11, 11-4, 11-4, 11-2
5. Y- Jenny Scherl d. Ashley Tidman, 11-5, 11-3, 11-8, 12-10
6. TC- Natalie Babjukova d. Lilly Fast, 7-11, 11-6, 11-9, 10-12, 11-9
7. TC- Sachika Balvani d. Gwen Tilghman, 11-9, 3-11, 11-5, 4-11, 11-6
8. Y- Shiyuan Mao d. Jennifer Pelletier, 11-4, 11-5, 11-7
9. Y- Georgia Blatchford d. Chanel Erasmus, 11-7, 11-7, 6-11, 8-11, 11-3