Cambridge, Mass. - Anne Marie Manning won, 3-2, in the No. 5 match to lead the Stanford University Cardinal to a stunning 5-4 upset victory over the Trinity College Bantams in women's squash action at Harvard University's Murr Center. Trinity, ranked No. 3 in the nation, drops its home opener, while No. 9-ranked Stanford improves to 6-1 with all seven matches taking place at Harvard over the last three days.
Trinity posted 3-0 victories at each of the top-three positions in the lineup, while Stanford earned four victories by the same score in the bottom four spots. Senior co-captain Sachika Balvani (Mumbai, India) won, 3-1, for Trinity at the No. 4 position, but Manning edged Bantam sophomore Karolina Holinkova (Krnov, Czech Republic), 3-2, at No. 5 in the contest's only match to go five games. Holinkova recovered from a 2-0 deficit to take the third game, 11-9, and the fourth, 12-10, but Manning took an 11-6 victory in the clinching fifth game.
Bantam senior co-captain Kanzy Del Defrawy (Cairo, Egypt), the nation's top-ranked returning player, downed Stanford's Sarah Bell by a combined score of 33-10 in the No. 1 match for the most lopsided Trinity victory of the day. Tatyanna Dadaboo and Trinity sophomore Alexia Echeverria (San Salvador, El Salvador) played three grueling games, but Dadaboo won all three, 14-12, 12-10, 13-11, in the No. 6 match.
1. TC- Kanzy El Defrawy d. Sarah Bell, 11-3, 11-3, 11-4
2. TC- Julia LeCoq d. Tara Shannon, 11-8, 11-9, 11-7
3. TC- Raneem Sharaf d. C.C. Ho, 11-8, 11-1, 11-8
4. TC- Sachika Balvani d. Christi Huchro, 9-11, 11-9, 11-8, 11-9
5. S- Anne Marie Manning d. Karolina Holinkova, 11-8, 11-8, 9-11, 10-12, 11-6
6. S- Tatyanna Dadaboo d. Alexia Echeverria, 14-12, 12-10, 13-11
7. S- Lucy Rowe d. Jillian Davey, 11-3, 11-6, 11-7
8. S- Grayson Melby d. Katiria Sanchez, 11-7, 11-7, 11-6
9. S- Sarah HAig d. Margaret Lineburger, 11-7, 11-1, 11-0
Stanford 5, Trinity (Conn.) 4