Hartford, Conn. - Sophomore Salma Alam El Din (Cairo, Egypt) fought off two would-be match points in the final game to come away with a gutsy, 3-2 victory at the No. 2 spot, higlighting a 7-2 victory by the No. 2-ranked Trinity College women's squash team over the No. 5 University of Pennsylvania Quakers on Saturday afternoon in Hartford. Trinity avenges a 5-4 loss to the Quakers in the semifinals of last year's Howe Cup and improves to 8-1 on the year. Penn falls to 5-3 overall with the setback.
Alam El Din won the first two games at No. 2, including a hard fought 16-14 win in the second game, to take an early 2-0 lead. Her opponent, Quaker senior Melissa Alves (Kourou, French Guyana), responded with back-to-back wins to force a deciding fifth game. Alves had a pair of chances to put the match away but Alam El Din proved relentless, fighting off defeat and eventually pulling out a 13-11 game victory to win the match, 3-2. Elsewhere for the Bantams, junior Jenny Haley (Caldicott, Wales) dominated at No. 7, yielding just 11 total points to her opponent. Sophomore Vanessa Raj (Penang, Malaysia) earned a 3-1 victory in the No. 6 spot for Trinity in just her second match of the season, falling in the first game before winning three-straight for the victory. The Quakers picked up victories at No. 1 and No. 3 by Reeham Sedky (Samammish, Wash.) and Marie Stephan (Nimes, France), respectively, both of whom are ranked in the top-five in the nation individually.
Trinity v. Pennsylvania
1. P - Reeham Sedky d. TC Raneem Sharaf d. 11-1, 11-8, 11-7
2. TC - Salma Alam El Din d. Melissa Alves, 11-8, 16-14, 6-11, 6-11, 13-11
3. P - Marie Stephan d. TC Julia LeCoq, 8-11, 11-7, 11-9, 11-6
4. TC - Min Jie Teh d. Haley Scott, 11-2, 11-2, 10-12, 11-3
5. TC - Lakeesha Rarere d. Lindsay Stanley, 11-6, 16-14, 11-5
6. TC - Vanessa Raj d. Julia Buchholz, 8-11, 11-9, 11-2, 13-11
7. TC - Jenny Haley d. Cameron Munn, 11-2, 11-7, 11-2
8. TC - Akanksha Salunkhe d. Clare Kearns 11-3, 11-6, 11-3
9. TC - Karolina Holinkova d. Nicole Windreich 11-4, 11-8, 11-7
Trinity (Conn.) 7, Pennsylvania 2