Hartford, Conn. - The Trinity College Bantams won five of the first six matches and clinched the team victory on a 3-0 win by senior tri-captain Raneem Sharaf (Cairo, Egypt) at the top of the ladder, downing the visiting Stanford University Cardinal, 5-4, in women's squash action this evening at Kellner Center. Trinity, ranked No. 3 in the nation, improves to 10-1 with its fifth victory in a row, while No. 5-ranked Stanford falls to 10-3. Trinity hosts top-ranked Harvard on Monday, January 29 at 4 p.m.
Trinity sophomores Salma Alam El Din (Cairo, Egypt) and Vanessa Raj (Penang, Malaysia) and rookie Min Jie Teh (Klang, Malaysia) each recorded 3-0 sweeps to help the home team to a 3-1 lead after the first of two waves. Bantam senior tri-captain Julia LeCoq (Creteil, France) added a 3-0 triumph at the No. 3 position in the lineup to make it 4-1, and Sharaf, ranked No. 5 in the nation among returning individuals, made quick work of Cardinal sophomore Casey Wong (Ruxton, Md.), ranked No. 16 nationally, 11-3, 11-3, 11-5, to give Trinity its fifth point and a 5-1 lead. Stanford showed heart and took the last three points, including 3-2 wins by rookies Caroline Neave (Rye, N.Y.) and Juliette Love (San Carlos, Calif.).
Trinity v. Stanford
1. TC- Raneem Sharaf d. Casey Wong, 11-3, 11-3, 11-5
2. TC- Salma Alam El Din d. Chloe Chemtob, 11-3, 11-9, 11-4
3. TC- Julia LeCoq d. Tara Shannon, 11-8, 11-3, 11-9
4. TC- Min Jie Teh d. Sarah Bell, 11-8, 11-5, 11-8
5. S- Caroline Neave d. Lakeesha Rarere, 11-8, 11-9, 10-12, 9-11, 11-4
6. TC- Vanessa Raj d. Christina Huchro, 11-7, 11-8, 11-4
7. S- Caroline Neave d. Jenny Haley, 11-8, 11-8, 8-11, 11-8
8. S Sumrin Mudgil d. Akanksha Salunkhe, 11-9, 7-11, 11-2, 11-6
9. S- Juliette Love d. Karolina Holinkova, 11-4, 5-11, 15-13, 6-11, 11-6
Trinity (Conn.) 5, Stanford 4