Troy, N.Y. - The visiting Trinity College Bantams bested the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Engineers, 7-2, in women's tennis action this afternoon on Sharp Courts, snapping a five-game losing skid to improve to 2-6. The Engineers drop to 6-10 with their fourth loss in a row. The Bantams host New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) rival Colby on Saturday at 10 a.m. in their next match, while RPI visits College of New Jersey on Saturday at noon. Four different Bantams won in both singles and doubles.
Trinity won at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles to take a 2-0 lead. Bantam juniors Julia Brogan (Falmouth, Maine) and Elena Pellegrini (Leghorn, Italy) started things off with an 8-3 victory at first doubles, while junior tri-captain Jillian Winer (Bolton, Mass.) and first-year Marta Drausnik (Zagreb, Croatia) gave the Bantams a 2-0 lead with an 8-6 win at second doubles. Rensselaer won the third doubles point, but the Bantams won the first the first three singles matches to clinch the match. Pellegrini shut ourt RPI's Sanjana Surapeni, 6-0, 6-0 and Winer crushed Nisha Rajmohan, almost as easily, 6-0, 6-1, to make the score, 4-1. Trinity rookie Ashley Walker (New Canaan, Conn.) won the clinching point with a 6-0, 6-3 triumph at the bottom of the singles ladder. Brogan and Drausnik also won in singles for the visitors.
1. TC- Elena Pellegrini/Julia Brogan d. Sonya Khudyakov/Junjia Lyu, 8-3
2. TC- Marta Drausnik and Jillian Winer d. Sanjana Surapaneni & Brenda Peng, 8-6
3. RPI- Nisha Rajamohan and Andrea Valencia d. Lily Everett & Janie Weber, 8-6
1. TC- Pellegini d. Surapaneni, 6-0, 6-0
2. TC- Drausnik d. Lyu, 7-6 (5), 6-1
3. TC- Brogan d. Peng, 6-3, 6-1
4. RPI- Valencia d. Krista Jiranek, 6-1, 6-4
5. TC- Winer d. Rajamohan, 6-0, 6-1
6. TC- Ashley Walker d. Jolee McCluskey, 6-0, 6-3
Trinity (Conn.) 7, Rensselaer 2